3rd Quarter Blog

Hi Mr. B and Doc Oc! This is my favorite post from this quarter :)

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Coining Phrases

As I was parousing the news this morning I came across something that shocked me.  Famous country and pop singer, Taylor Swift, has trademarked many lines from her songs.  Swift has taken out several trademarks for phrases like "Party Like It's 1989," "This Sick Beat," "Cause We Never Go Out of Style." It is interesting to me that she would do something like this.  These lines have become very popular sayings in everyday use, and some people might say that she is being a stickler about it and just trying to make as much money as possible. 

However, upon a little research about Swift trademarking the lyrics, I have seen a different perspective.  "This is arguably less about her wanting to boil every single thing she does down to a “revenue stream” and more about a pre-emptive strike against callously opportunistic third parties who might want to make money off her without either her involvement or her say so." I agree, I think that these lines are so widely known and so commonly used that people will see this as an opportunity to make money off of her hard work.  Americans tend to see an opporutnity and snatch it up and try to build an empire with it.  The American Dream to work hard enough and be able to make your way to the top.

Still, parts of me wonder why she would trademark the phrases? I am wondering if companies will try to make money off of these phrases if they have to pay to print them in the first place?  Is it worth it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment