3rd Quarter Blog

Hi Mr. B and Doc Oc! This is my favorite post from this quarter :)

Thursday, January 8, 2015

NYC Finally Joining the Tech Age

For about 4 or 5 years now, I have always been able to bring in my laptop, or iPad or phone to school and not have to worry about it being confiscated.  At my elementary school we had a program called BYOD; Bring Your Own Device.  My teachers have encouraged me to bring in technology so that I can make the most of my learning experience by having many more resources available at the tip of my fingers. Even now, every single student in my high school is required to have an iPad. I was absolutely shocked when I saw in the Chicago Tribune today that New York City is just joining this phenomenon.

Mayor Bill de Blasio is lifting a longtime ban, set in place by former Mayor Michael Bloomberg, to allow students to bring technology, more specifically, phones, into school.  This policy is to go into effect March, 2.  Before this, students like Jessica Flores, had to pay $1 a day to store their phones in a local store or a van to make sure that it wouldn't be taken.  Over the course of a school year that can really add up, and seems to be a waste of money.  It baffled me that when technology is such an integral part of my learning, and learning all around the country, that this is just now a policy in New York City.  It is so much easier to find information in moments on an iPad or phone and can help greatly with learning.  It seems that American culture really is shifting to a more technological learning process and New York City is just now jumping on that bandwagon.

Do you think that technology is a good thing to be able to have at school? Or do you think Mayor Bloomberg was right to have it banned?
Students All With iPads To Help With Learning

No comments:

Post a Comment