3rd Quarter Blog

Hi Mr. B and Doc Oc! This is my favorite post from this quarter :)

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Fish Are Friends, Not Food

I was scrolling through the internet this afternoon and I came across an article that really shocked me.  A fisherman was killed by a swordfish when he was impailed by its bill.

The victim was a 47 year-old Hawaiin fisherman named Randy Llanes. According to the guardian, Llanes speared the fish, but as it struggled to escape the spear’s line got tangled in a mooring anchor. Caught on the anchor, the fish swam back around toward Llanes at a high speed and struck him in the chest with its 3ft bill.

It is crazy to me to think that something that seems as harmless as fishing can result in a death.  I don't think people realize just how much talent it really takes to deal with fish.
Being a fisherman is one of America's most deadly jobs.
It is odd to me because when I think about fish, I think about that classic line from Finding Nemo "Fish are friends, not food".  It doesn't seem like our friends should be killing us.

No comments:

Post a Comment